Q: is private school tuition tax deductible for minors?

A: Unfortunately, no. If your child attends a K-12 private school, there is no federal tax deduction or credit you qualify for that will help pay for tuition — not even school uniforms. However, once your child graduates and attends a college you're paying for, you'll start qualifying for certain education deductions.

Also, note that if you are contributing or donating money to the school or church, these may be deductible. The key is to pay tuition and contributions/donations with two separate checks. Otherwise, you are going to have a very difficult time if you ever get audited.

To discuss whether you qualify for education credits or deductions pertaining to college and graduate school tuition and expenses, contact us today to speak with a GI Tax professional.